Friday, November 10, 2006

i am african

So I went to the Keep a Child Alive fundraiser last night at Hammerstein Ballroom, hosted by Alicia Keys and Iman. Now, I won't spend time verbalizing the awkwardness inherent in a bunch of people showing up in their finest to extend their hearts and wallets to those who have nothing (though I think I will have to write about this at some point because I found it unexpectedly upsetting), but I will say my night was absolutely made when one of my favorite musical artists took the stage by surprise.


Her name is Angelique Kidjo, and she is a powerhouse.
I absolutely adore her.
She performed solo and with Alicia and it was incredible.
If you don't know who she is, look her up on iTunes.
Mom, if you're reading this (and I know you are), you would love her. If you don't buy it before I come west, I will bring you a copy.

Other performers of the night, not one of which disappointed, was Damian Marley (who did a killer duet with Alicia on Welcome to Jamrock), the awesomely lyrical Saul William doing a piece from his new book, The Dead Emcee Scrolls, Louis XIV, and last but not least, the one, the only, David Bowie, who finished the night.

And the crowd went wild.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog