Tuesday, September 05, 2006

details

I remember once reading that physical clarity is necessary for psychic clarity- that a clear physical space will result in a clear mental one.
With tomorrow being the official change of season for me (the end of summer, the start of school), I am in the process of sweeping my mental and physical spaces clear of clutter; performing a fall cleaning of sorts.

The literal and metaphorical act of cleaning and clearing is vitally important to having a good life.
It makes space for a life of intentioned purpose rather than of random consequence and though I sometimes avoid it, I love cleaning.
It focuses my attention on little things.

What I have come to believe with great passion over the years is that life is in the details; that the smallest things often have the greatest impact on our lives.
Research has shown, for instance, that people who perform small acts routinely- walking twenty minutes a day versus working out for three hours once a week, or connecting with their mates in seemingly trivial ways on a daily basis rather than connecting in a significant way over a two week vacation once a year- are more likely to experience happiness and long term success in their exercise routines, relationships, or whatever other area they approach in that fashion.

If you want to clear, change, or address a situation in your life, it helps to translate your broad desire into small, perhapse nearly invisible yet solidly concrete details that lead to deep, long-lasting transformation.

For myself, I have the goal of communicating with greater honesty- being able to say what I want, feel, and mean as things come up in life and letting go of my need to control the way I am received and preceived by other people.
I can do this by maintaining awareness of the small ways and times I am not communicating with the degree of honesty that I'd like, and combating my patterned impulse to remain silent by actively speaking out in those moments when I realize that I am falling short of my aspirations.

To help me in the process, I have a journal to keep me present to when and where I am slipping and how I am working to reengage my intentions by reinforcing them with small actions.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Watch your thoughts; They become words. Watch your words; They become deeds. Watch your deeds; They become habits. Watch your habits; They become character. Character is everything."

It's all in the details.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog