Wednesday, August 23, 2006

mel robbins, beirut (no, not the country)

I just got my ass kicked by my fantastic life coach, Mel Robbins.
Remember how I mentioned her a couple weeks ago?
Well we met for the first time at 7:30 this morning.

She's amazing; I kid you not. She's sincere, assertive, direct, together, female, and beautiful (not that the last two things are a mark of a great life coach, but it helps to feel like I'm talking to a girlfriend who I can respect and admire on many levels).

Anyhow, she has me taking an honest inventory of my life, which is fucking terrifying but simultaneously exciting. I've been on hiatus from active introspection for too long, meaning that though I have spent a great deal of time philosophizing about myself and my life, I haven't done much to actually change it in about a year or two.

Change is scary and incredibly anxiety provoking for me.
I still have adrenaline coursing through my veins from the mere suggestion that I spread the contents of my life out on a hard surface in the cold light of day to examine. But there's nothing I need to do more for myself- and for others (I have a bit of a dishonesty streak, in that I don't say things that I should when I think it might anger or upset others people. It gets me into trouble)- than just that.
It's time to empty my bag of tricks- all the little things I do to get by- to see where I'm cheating myself from doing, being, and getting what I want while being direct and honest with the world around me.
If you are reading this you are on the ride with me so sit back and relax as I divulge the sordid details of my life and expunge my bad habits in this process with Mel.

As for other goings on, I went the offices of Spin magazine last night for a Spin-House Live show by Beirut.




These guys are insane: they all play a million random instruments (violin, beer bottle, accordion, ukulele; the list goes on and on) and they're all about 20. The music is a visceral celebration that sweeps you up in its path like the brooms of the Balkan gypsies whose tradition it calls to.

If you have a chance to see them, go.
It's a satisfying and substantial show, filling like a warm and hearty beef stew.
Oh- and did I mention how cute they are?

They're playing Mercury Lounge on Friday if you can still get tickets.
I'll be there getting in touch with my long lost Latvian roots.

Below is a picture of me and Zach (lead singer and multi-instrumentalist), and Paul (keys, tamborine, organ, and beer bottle).



No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog