Monday, December 06, 2010

Steve Martin, America, Art and the Box

















Normally, I'd post this on my Tumblr because it's of a less personal nature but seeing as Tumblr is down for an indeterminate period of time, I'm sharing this here. It's an excellent write up that uses the bizarre 92nd St Y/Steve Martin episode to raise a far more important and pertinent point regarding the role of democracy in art. I'm all for democracy in politics, social order, etc. but where art is concerned, it seems to act in a reductionist manner, leaving us with nothing but the lowest common denominator and in place of democracy, we get mediocrity. Just saying....

No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog