Monday, July 24, 2006

door 1 or 2? or 3? or.... argh.

Ok- this is my last blog of the day and maybe, just maybe, the whole week. I have a lot of work to take care of tomorrow and I am going to try and do as little thinking as possible over the weekend.

This blog comes about because last night at dinner and at lunch today, the same subject came up: choices.

NYC is full of them- where to go, what to eat, where to work, which cell phone carrier to choose, who to make friends with, who to have relationships with, which shoes to wear (this is an alarmingly difficult decision to make as a woman in NYC if you walk a lot like me)....

While in conversation I remembered seeing, during one of my bookstore wanders, a recently released book called The Paradox of Choice, by Barry Schwartz. I picked it up and, from what I gathered in ten minutes of reading while standing in an aisle, Schwartz had a lot of interesting things to say. His argument strongly reinforced what I have always believed: that too much choice can be paralyzing.

Rather than write more about it, I'll let the much more eloquent Christopher Caldwell comment instead.

This is his review of the book.
From The New Yorker.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog