Sunday, January 28, 2007

"i do."

I don't know if it's just me but when I pick up the Sunday Times, I usually skip right past the Vows segment. Not because of any aversion to the topic of marriage, and not because of any bitterness about my romantic past or any insecurities about my romantic future, but rather because of my feelings of indifference. And, ok, maybe some feelings of insecurity. Today, however, I stopped into the newsprint chapel to wish the hopefully happy couples well. Ah, there's that cynicism again…


Now, I'm curious- how does this Times Vows section work? Do they keep a finger on random couples and document them? Or do they, as I'm more inclined to believe, get a phone call from a couple (or their publicist) who asks that the couple be profiled, and then confirms that yes, they're willing to pay the Times a nominal fee?

And how awful would it be for a journalist to get assigned to write a glowing puff piece about a couple who, in the weeks before their nuptials, are fighting like cats and dogs? Or a couple who are just plain nuts? How does the journalist make clinical sound sexy? By using words like spontaneous, messy, and fearless, that's how.

Vows: Colleen Saidman and Rodney Yee

No comments:

About Me

My photo
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Archive

Followers

Search This Blog